- "Our Young and Meathe build is the 4th new build that Liz and I have experienced, and our first truly custom home.
From our first exploratory meeting with Jim Meathe, his passion for perfection, and commitment to quality was inspiring. Our discussions were frank, and an honest assessment of the cost/quality continuum of a Y&M build.
Although Jim has a style and passion for design and the "look" we were trying to achieve, he played a consultative role as he facilitated 4 interviews with various architects he felt suited our project. However, unlike other builder tendencies we routinely hear of, Jim's involvement remained intense throughout the building process.
Jim is surrounded by a quality team on the planning/costing/finance side. Stephanie Lostocco is a highly committed, conscientious, and caring CFO. She lead a finance team that kept us informed, and updated throughout the process.
Our construction manager, Joe Fritz built our home with the care and quality as if it were his own. He demonstrated flexibility, enthusiasm, and a passion for excellence in every phase of the project. Joe has developed a strong relationship as evidenced in the quality of all of the sub-contractors used from the framers, masons, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, painters, etc. Joe has been eminently accessible, and his communication skills with us made the build a great success. Thanks Y&M for our beautiful home." Scott Wilson
- "Young and Meathe had a fantastic vision for the property we purchased. They worked well with us in planning the exact look we wanted. The finished product turned out to be a dream come true for us." John and Kathleen Beilein
- "This was a life long dream of ours - to build a forever home someday. When the magical moment finally arrived, we were blessed to meet Jim Meathe and his associates, who had come highly recommended.
It started with our dream, translated by a remarkably talented architect, and brought to life by Jim and his team of skilled and reliable contractors dedicated to making every detail perfection. Our home is exquisitely and soundly built.
The materials and craftsmanship that make this house a home are of exceptionally high quality. Our forever home is now a reality and a dream come true. We are and could not be more pleased and happy with Jim and all the incredibly talented contractors who did their best for us." Mac and Lisë Davis
- "We were very impressed with the attention to detail and knowledge exhibited by Jim Meathe and his staff, he has assembled a professional team that builds to the highest standards and has complete focus on customer satisfaction. We were not able to be on site during much of the construction but could not be more pleased with the quality workmanship of our new home." Jamie and Denise Jacob
- "We decided to renovate our summer home at Bay Harbor and chose Jim Meathe & his team as our partners. We are delighted with the results. Our ordinary spec home has been transformed to a beautiful Michigan cottage...with hardwood floors, white beadboard, open kitchen and a peaceful screened in porch. They translated our architectural drawings with quality workmanship and attention to detail. They remodeled our home over the winter, keeping us up to date with weekly letters and photos. The budget was managed carefully as well.
When we returned in June, we were wowed by the result. Our home is now everything we wanted it to be. We look forward to enjoying our new cottage for years to come." Cheryl and Chris Bachelder
- "I had the pleasure to work with you on two significant remodeling projects in Northern Michigan as Project Manager for the owner and I can tell you both experiences exceeded my expectations! I found the team to be extremely professional, paying close attention to the details and making the end result truly spectacular! I was amazed how the team turned challenges into opportunities and met many tight deadlines with enthusiasm. The process was very smooth and the team did a fabulous job of identifying ways to get the best quality and pricing, while never compromising the design or impacting the schedule. I look forward to having an opportunity to work with you in the future." Jaime Rae Turnbull
- Jim Meathe pulled together a fantastic team of architects, designers and contractors to build our dream home on Walloon Lake. From the beginning, Jim and his team did whatever it took to make our home a truly unique and beautiful addition to the lake. We had to demo an existing house and Jim had the trees trimmed and built various site towers so we could see exactly what our views would be at different elevations. Our guests always comment on how we have an incredible view from every room of the house and it looks like it has been here for years. We also had the opportunity to meet many incredible new friends on the lake, many of which were recent or current building clients of Young and Meathe. Our dream home is more beautiful than we ever imagined thanks to all the great input and advice from Jim and his team. Andy and Alicia Hopping
- We simply did not believe that our Walloon Lake cottage could be completed in eight months. However, we broke ground on October 1 and, sure enough, were given the keys on June 1. Equally as important, the detailing was exceptional and our budget was respected. It was a delightful experience." Richard and Maureen Mullaney
- "Young & Meathe: Great people, outstanding taste and attention to design, detail, and quality - important guidance on costs, on what will work well and what won't, all leading to a wonderful new cottage on Walloon, which our family will enjoy for generations to come Would we do it again? ...No. Why? Because thanks to Jim and his team, the one we now have is perfect!" Mike and Pat Hopkins
- "Their flexibility is remarkably reasonable and refreshing compared to experiences with other build/design firms. The commercial terms were a relative breeze considering their willingness to contract under various scenarios such as fixed fee, cost plus, etc. They went the extra mile to work around our construction needs. Wow...ahead of schedule and right on budget!" Jason and Claire Zintak
- "I’d like to share with you that our experiences with your staff have been extraordinary. I now call Clayton the "House Whisperer" even though he insists that your mind is rich in unlimited resources. Austin, what a find for a young man right out of college. He listens, follows through and is detail oriented. The amazing thing about both of them is that they don't ever say no! They are solution oriented consistently which is a true asset to any company or relationship. We are grateful that you took on our project and that we can enjoy our house fully!" Holly Hutcher-Shamir
- "A cottage on Walloon Lake has been a life-long dream. They brought that dream to life and even improved upon it, and we wouldn’t have thought that possible in light of the number of years we’ve been designing this in our heads! They treated our project as though they were building this cottage for themselves. Their presence on Walloon and their understanding of how a cottage really needs to function is a springboard for a wealth of ideas as they continued to improve on design elements as the cottage took shape. The attention to every detail, as well as our budget, was much appreciated, especially when they handed over the keys to our dream cottage ahead of schedule! They continue to support us today as we mark our 1st anniversary on Walloon. We wish everyone could have this experience!" Deborah Collins
- "Over the past 14 years we have worked with various builders in three different states. We have had wonderful building experiences and those which created great frustration. All too often the builder finishes the remodel or hands you the keys to your new home and moves on to the next profitable situation. Our experience with you has surpassed all our expectations for relationship follow-up. There has not yet been a situation where we requested help (no matter how small) that they did not address immediately. Their response to questions, additions, small changes or "tweaks" has been exceptionally prompt and thorough with the same quality service and craftsmanship." Sarah and Joe Tripodi
- "You assembled an impressive group of individuals devoted to value engineering of the highest quality and attention to detail for our home. They were able to finish our vacation, dream home in a timely fashion and the finished product exceeded our expectations. You would receive our highest recommendation when requested."
Dr. & Mrs. Mark Lebeda
- "We were skeptical about letting someone else build our house and thought that we should just buy an existing one. Fortunately for us, we didn't find what we wanted and came upon Y&M. They were involved from the beginning and helped us identify architects and select the best one for us. The building process was really a pleasure. Besides the expertise and quality (which is obvious from the finished product), they treated our money and the budget as if it was their own. They pride themselves on "value engineering" when finding the best material and labor at the best price. It has been a great experience!" Marcia and Mark Miller
- We have built three homes and had to be on sight frequently to make sure that they got done right, especially with the high level of detail and architectural integrity we like. As such, we were understandably apprehensive about building our Walloon cottage from Florida. With your firm, that wasn't a problem. You have created the winning combination of design intelligence, structural correctness, oversight, cost control and communication. The final product speaks for itself." James Campisi
- "Ruth and I can’t thank you enough for your help in building our new home! Your input was invaluable and we know the house would have never turned out so well without your efforts. We particularly appreciate your helping us to better understand all the steps involved in building a high quality, high expectation home in a cost effective manner, enabling us to have a home we are pleased with while maintaining our budget. We would gladly recommend you to our friends and others looking for a partner with integrity to guide them through the home building process. You have earned your sterling reputation!" Tom Anthony
- "Y&M was a delight to work with. Jim spent a lot of time with as we went through the design and build process, so that he knew what we wanted and offered great ideas. He has the ability to build a cottage beyond our expectations due to his experience and attention to detail, and that is what he delivered. The crew on site was great, and the project manager was very attentive and reflected Jim’s eye for detail. Meeting the budget was also important to us, and Y&M was very conscious of that from start to finish.
We appreciate the robustness of the build and the solid feel of the house, summer or winter. Every time we walk into our cottage we are overwhelmed with the beauty of the home." Nancy and Michael Smith
- "We are delighted with our cottage. The materials, quality of design and layout by Young & Meathe make for a great summer retreat. We especially like the high-end wide plank floors that were used, so much so that we have since incorporated them into our home in Cleveland." Rick Doody
- "Having been in the construction business for over 30 years I can honestly say that I've never been more impressed with the quality of work, attention to detail and speed of construction on our new home. All along the way I've had my construction controller track every nickel of subcontractor and material payment and you haven't missed a beat." Jeff and Lisa Martin
- "It is my pleasure to recommend you. The workmanship was outstanding and within the agreed upon budget. If any issue arose, you were quick to find a reasonable remedy. My husband and I have a history with fine homes, but we have never known a finer contractor or builder. In the future, should we have need, we will never go to anyone else." Bridget Dobson
- "We have built three homes from the ground up. Tackling a complete remodel of an existing home is an entirely different process. You have to work with what is there and many times you uncover problems hidden deep behind the outside walls. Young and Meathe builders and Greg Presley, architect have transformed our modest bungalow into a beautiful Michigan shingle house. Their combined design ideas and execution of the project have earned resounding compliments. We could not be happier with the final product. Young and Meathe was there for us from demolition to completion, solving every problem we encountered along the way. No detail was overlooked and if a change was requested it was done quickly and to our satisfaction. Jim Meathe has assembled a team of professional, caring project managers that kept the project on track. No question went unanswered and the open communication kept us at ease as our primary residence is 1700 miles away." Peg and John Emley